[Petal] Petal 0.61

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver@mkdoc.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:46:36 +0100

On Mon 12-Aug-2002 at 11:32:34AM -0400, William McKee wrote:
> Jean-Michel,
>
> Thanks for the update. I'm in the process of installing the new version
> right now. Here's the beginning of the bug reports <g>:

Thanks... I also have spotted and fixed a couple of extra bugs thus
it's probable that I'll release version 0.62 soon.

> Otherwise the install went well and my templates are displaying fine and
> the bug test I submitted is working. The docs look good as well. A few
> comments:
>
>  - Under the section 'Variable expressions and modifiers', in 'How it
> works', you refer to ":var" in the paragraph beginning "$hash is a highly
> magical...". I think that should be "var:".

Yes, thanks.

>  - What is the difference between encode and encode_html?

'encode:' encodes only " ' < and >. 'encode_html:' encodes more HTML
entities, which is not necessary as long as you send the right character
set for your in your HTTP "Content-Type" headers.

>  - Have you considered turning on encode for all elements unless
> specifically requested not to, a la TAL? If you don't like this idea,
> perhaps a global setting or a template setting would be possible.

Yes, except I can't work out how to currently implement this without
doing some kind of horrible hack, which I don't want to do. So for the
moment we'll stick with encode:

>  - Under the "Petal TAL-like syntax", in "interpolation", you refer to
> ":xml title" in the examples. Again, shouldn't that be "xml:title"?

Yes, thanks too :-)

> Nice job!

Cheers! I have been using Petal myself and I'm happy to see that after
so much bug struggling and fighting, it now starts to work quite well,
which is very cool :-)

I was thinking that we might start to advertise about Petal as soon as
the HTML::TreeBuilder bug is fixed. What do you think?

Best Regards,
--
IT'S TIME FOR A DIFFERENT KIND OF WEB
  Jean-Michel Hiver - Software Director