[Pangloss] pg_admin shell basics, creating a pixie store

Steve Purkis spurkis at mkdoc.com
Tue Mar 2 22:23:05 GMT 2004

Hi Bruno,

Sorry for the delay -- I'm on contract at the moment and don't get to
check my email as often as I'd like :-/

See answers below...

On Friday, February 20, 2004, at 01:25  pm, Bruno Postle wrote:

> I'm trying to create the initial Pixie store using the pg_admin
> tool.
>
> I've created a test mysql database called pangloss1 and a
> user/password pair: pangloss1/pangloss1.
>
> I figured out that the syntax for connecting with these details is
> something like this:
>
>     connect 'dbi:mysql:dbname=pangloss1:pass=pangloss1:user=pangloss1'

that's correct.

> ..but before that, I can't even create a Pixie store by following
> the instructions in the INSTALL file:
>
>     create store
> 'dbi:mysql:dbname=pangloss1:password=pangloss1:user=pangloss1'

Yeah, that's a UI bug, methinks.  You simply need a comma in there:

	pangloss> create store, 'dbi:mysql:...'

Which is not obvious unless you know how it works under the hood.

>     String found where operator expected at (eval 29) line 1, near
> "store 'dbi:mysql:dbname=pangloss1:password=pangloss1:user=pangloss1'"
>         (Do you need to predeclare store?)
>     syntax error at (eval 29) line 1, near "store
> 'dbi:mysql:dbname=pangloss1:password=pangloss1:user=pangloss1'"
>
> The Pixie documentation isn't much use, if I follow the
> instructions:

The Pixie docs are out of date.  I devoted a lot of time to this, but
unfortunately didn't have time to prepare a release of my work before I
started this contract.  The Pixie mailing list archives may come in
handy, you'll be able to find them off of
http://pixie-perl.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps,
-Steve