[MKSearch-dev] Re: MKSearch-Query

Phil Shaw phil at mkdoc.com
Mon Nov 21 16:06:48 GMT 2005

On 17 Nov 2005, at 15:16, Angrosh wrote:

> I was highly fascinated by the MKSEARCH Engine desined by your
> kindself. I would like to use MKSEARCH Engine in my research. Is it
> possible.

Angrosh,

Thanks for your interest in our project. You are certainly welcome
to use the system in your research project, provided you follow the
requirements of the General Public Licence. In short, that means
that if you edit the source code you must make it available under
the same free usage licence as the original code.

Hopefully the project documentation will give you a start, but if you
have any questions or need further pointers, please post to the
project mailing list. That way, we can share the information with
other subscribers.

> Secondly, I would like to retrieve metadata from a local schema
> developed locally. Is is possible. If so, can you please give the clue
> on how to go about it?

Yes, the system is designed to work with various schemas. At
present there is no direct route from an RDFS schema to a format
that MKSearch can work with. That's because there are some
additional properties that are required to identify the primary search
fields, and the summary information fields for search results.

MKSearch primarily works with the ApplicationProfile interface,
which can contain one or more Schema. Application profile and
schema types provide a framework for expanding encoded
metadata in the form 'DC.Title' to a URI reference.

https://svn.mkdoc.com/mksearch/trunk/doc/javadoc/com/mkdoc/schema/ApplicationProfile.html
https://svn.mkdoc.com/mksearch/trunk/doc/javadoc/com/mkdoc/schema/Schema.html

It is relatively easy to create custom Schema and
ApplicationProfile types by extending the abstract superclasses
here:

https://svn.mkdoc.com/mksearch/trunk/doc/javadoc/com/mkdoc/sc
hema/AbstractApplicationProfile.html
https://svn.mkdoc.com/mksearch/trunk/doc/javadoc/com/mkdoc/sc
hema/AbstractSchema.html

Schema are composed of a map of SchemaProperty types, which
can be built on top of an AbstractSchemaProperty.

https://svn.mkdoc.com/mksearch/trunk/doc/javadoc/com/mkdoc/sc
hema/AbstractSchemaProperty.html

Take a look at the source of DublinCoreElements and
DublinCoreProfile to get an idea how these components work.

https://svn.mkdoc.com/mksearch/trunk/src/com/mkdoc/schema/Du
blinCoreElements.java
https://svn.mkdoc.com/mksearch/trunk/src/com/mkdoc/schema/Du
blinCoreProfile.java

Best regards,

Phil

--
MKSearch (beta)

http://www.mksearch.mkdoc.org/

Free, open source metadata search engine with RDF storage and query.