[MKSearch-dev] Week 1 round-up

Phil Shaw phil at mkdoc.com
Fri Oct 15 12:27:28 BST 2004

Some notes on this week's progress. Thanks for your help setting up
the Subversion and MK Doc sites.

Best regards,

Phil

Monday
------
Made a first round survey of the licence terms for key development
software at https://svn.mkdoc.com/mksearch/doc/licence/index.htm.
This includes some basic notes on potential RDF processors. Jena
looks out of the question because the licence terms are ambiguous and
seem to be compromised by the Apache licence. However, Sesame from
Open RDF looks a promising candidate, more research required.

http://www.openrdf.org/

Got my Windows shell operating with Subversion.

Wednesday
---------
More detailed investigation and configuration of a GNU Java
development environment with the GNU Compiler for Java (GCJ) and the
GNU byte code interpreter gij. Installed the latest version of Apache
Ant and created a first draft build script with properties and
filters files. Tested with the Sun Java interpreter.

Ant requires a JAXP-compliant XML parser to run under Cygwin and my
first attempt to make the GNU ClaspathX JAXP package was not
successful. Reported the problem to the project mailing list.

JAXP will also be a critical package for parsing (X)HTML to RDF.

Got my Cygwin shell operating with Subversion.

Friday
------
Followed-up feedback from the ClasspathX mailing list to investigate
the JAXP make problems further. Identified some further complications
and reported back. I will probably require assistance patching the
make file for Cygwin once we have isolated the source of the problem.