[MKDoc-users] Success... almost

Roger Merritt mcrogerm at stjohn.ac.th
Thu Jun 5 16:25:03 BST 2003

Well, I tracked down my mistake in MySQL and successfully ran the install
script. I put the 'include' statement into my system's httpd.conf (on
FreeBSD it's in /usr/local/etc/apache). I added the suggested names to
/etc/hosts, using poppy.stjohn.ac.th as the domain name. I fired up my
browser (Mozilla) on my Windoze machine and entered
'http://admin.poppy.stjohn.ac.th'. Mozilla gave me a little error window,
'www.poppy.stjohn.ac.th could not be found.Please check the name and try
again.'  OK, so I went to the \Windows directory and edited the LMHosts
file to add the names and re-booted (gad, I get tired of that). Fired up
Mozilla again, same result.

So I tried 'http://poppy/' and got '502 - Internal server error'. The
www_error_log showed that something had not been able to find Hack.pm.
Re-ran install.pl. Tried again. This time I got the MkDoc root document.
Success!!! But... I can't access the admin account this way.

So now it's a DNS problem. I use the /etc/hosts file for internal name
resolution, checked to make sure /etc/host.conf is still OK, yup, check
hosts first, then check bind which is on an outside server. So what's next?

--
Roger