[MKDoc-modules] Re: Encoding issues

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Mon Oct 6 13:33:40 BST 2003

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the suggestions. In the past, when Petal was using
HTML::TreeBuilder, I would put my JavaScript into an external file since
it behaved badly. However, now that Jean-Michel has written a parser
that he claims is XHTML compatible, I thought it would handle JS a bit
more elegantly.

Putting the JS into a variable, while a unique solution, won't work
since my designer needs to be able to access it. Unless someone "fixes"
the encoding, it looks like I'll be going back to the external file.

I don't quite understand the issues surrounding encoding. Why is it so
difficult for HTB and MKDoc::XML to know when to encode a character and
when not to? It works fine for the HTML attribute values. Why is JS, and
CSS in the case of HTB, giving it a problem?

Thanks,
William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.