[MKDoc-dev] Use of Mail::CheckUser in the account registration process

Bruno Postle bruno at mkdoc.com
Mon Jan 24 15:03:50 GMT 2005

On Sat 22-Jan-2005 at 18:57 -0500, Sam Tregar wrote:

> Hello all.  I'm working on the registration process and I think I've
> found a problem in MKDoc's use of Mail::CheckUser.

>  - Move (or just copy, since validate_email() might be used by other
>    components) the call to Mail::CheckUser into the first stage of
>    registration.  If the email address is invalid, why bother sending
>    mail to it?

Mail::CheckUser is used to stop the mail queue filling up with
undeliverable mail - So yes, the only place where it is sensible to
use is when web-clients are actually submitting an email address in
a form.

I'll have to look at the code, but it should only be used at the
initial "enter your email address to start the registration process"
stage.

I don't think it is a good idea to use it at the "change your
preferences" stage as there are plenty of reasons why a perfect good
address might temporarily become inaccessible - Validating addresses
every time somebody clicks "save preferences" is sure to cause
trouble sooner or later.

--
Bruno