[MKDoc-dev] Use of Mail::CheckUser in the account registration process

Sam Tregar sam at tregar.com
Sat Jan 22 23:57:43 GMT 2005

Hello all.  I'm working on the registration process and I think I've
found a problem in MKDoc's use of Mail::CheckUser.

I tried to register using the email address "sam at localhost".  The
registration email went out and since I'm running a local sendmail I
got it.  I clicked on the link and arrived at the Account Details
screen.  Here I couldn't finish registration.  The error I receievd
is:

   The email which you have entered appears to be invalid.

This is surprising because the Account Details screen doesn't have an
email address entry field!  The error message is coming from
flo::Record::Editor's validate_email() routine, around line 530:

   Mail::CheckUser::check_email ($mail) || do {
      new MKDoc::Ouch 'user/email/advanced_checks';
      return 0;
   };

I see two potential solutions to this problem:

  - Stop using Mail::CheckUser.  If the user makes it to Account
    Details then clearly the email address must be valid.

  - Move (or just copy, since validate_email() might be used by other
    components) the call to Mail::CheckUser into the first stage of
    registration.  If the email address is invalid, why bother sending
    mail to it?

-sam