Comment Component, was: Re: [MKDoc-dev] Future of the MKDoc Discussion component?

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Tue Jan 4 11:11:25 GMT 2005

Hi

I agree that the experimental discussion components should be
abandoned and that we should look at have a comment component in 1.8
or perhaps a later version.

On Mon 03-Jan-2005 at 03:36:03PM +0000, Bruno Postle wrote:

> The Comment component inherits from the Text component, but it has
> two extra pieces of metadata:  Author and Date.

The author can use the username -- I agree we don't need the ability
for anon contributions.

It might make sense to have date last modified as well as date
created if users can also edit their comments at a later date.

It will also need a title so that RSS feeds of comments etc can be
created.

> Any authenticated user can add a Comment component to the bottom
> of any document, however not all document templates will display
> Comment components - Editors will have to select 'Blog' or
> 'Comment' templates to make them visible.
>
> (Allowing comments on any document will allow a future bonus
> feature where users can create a comment that only Editors can
> see)

One problem with this is that it will exagerate the existing
problems with the interface for editing documents, for example, if I
create a document that a lot of people are interetsed in commenting
on. It gets 100 comments, these are all seperate components added to
the end of the existing documents components. I then want to add a
new component at the top of the page -- to do this I would have to
click move component up over 100 times on a big and therefore slow
page!

I fear that to do this _properly_ we would need:

* The ability to set editor permissions at a component level in
  addition to a document level.

* The ability to edit individual components seperately.

I have added this to the 1.8 todo list:

  http://www.mkdoc.org/docs/18-todo-list/