REST, was: Re: [MKDoc-dev] Using cookie/ticket authentication rather than Basic Auth

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Tue Sep 28 16:50:45 BST 2004

Hi

On Wed 29-Sep-2004 at 01:21:04AM +1000, Charlie Garrison wrote:

> I'm a bit slow on the terminology here. What do you mean by
> REST-ful?

Ah, yes, it sounds complicated but it isn't, it's the intuitive way
to design HTTP applications, it stands for REpresentational State
Transfer, for more info see the wiki:

  http://rest.blueoxen.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl

What it basically means is that GET should be repeatable and safe --
it should never change state server side (the poll application and
one 1.8 sign up page do not comply and the poll is not important
enough to worry about and the signup page needs fixing).

And POST should always be used when a change of state is desired on
the server side.

MKDoc only uses GET and POST (the other key HTTP methods being PUT
and DELETE).

Please ask more if this isn't clear, also I could dig up some
articles on it, sometime this is something that should be documented
on mkdoc.org :-)