[MKDoc-dev] Status of ECommerce module

Bruno Postle bruno at webarchitects.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 21:06:59 BST 2004

On Sun 26-Sep-2004 at 13:02 +1000, Charlie Garrison wrote:

> I'll have a look at that too (since I will need something for my project
> anyway). But I still think there should be discussion about what is imporant:

> - product database table vs component configuration (eg. price
> component) - what user details are required (eg postal AND
> shipping addresses) - freight/postage calculator - integration
> with payment gateways

The current system works like this:

Each product is a separate MKDoc document, so you can add images,
text, links etc..  This integrates quite nicely with other MKDoc
functionality such as the newsletter and audience preferences.

You can add multiple price components to a document - For example an
item of clothing may come in several colours.

Each price component can have a different price (if a red T-shirt is
more expensive than a black one).

Each price component has a unique stock id which is used in the
shopping cart cookie and for linking directly to the stock database
- In the existing implementation, the stock database is a plain text
file stored on the server queried via a simple cgi script.

Currently the only payment gateway implemented is WorldPay.

So the functionality is complete, but basic.  As far as the user is
concerned, everything is present - Stock quantities are listed,
the cart is easily visible and manipulated and products have
persistent and descriptive URIs.

What is missing is: searching based on price range, integration with
other stock control systems and payment gateways (plus probably lots
of other stuff).

--
Bruno