[MKDoc-dev] Status of ECommerce module

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Sun Sep 26 20:07:24 BST 2004

Hi

On Sun 26-Sep-2004 at 01:02:15PM +1000, Charlie Garrison wrote:

> It's definately a good thing to have some sort of basic shopping
> cart, but that is such a broad definition. I suggest opening it to
> discussion to find out what are the important features of an
> ecommerce module/plugin.

OK, good idea :-)

> > > Is that going to be added back into v1.8?  What needs to be
> > > done to include it again?
> >
> > I didn't realised that it hadn't been... yes why not, but I
> > don't know what would need doing and I'm not up to doing it
> > myself...
>
> I'll have a look at that too (since I will need something for my
> project anyway).

Great, thanks.

> But I still think there should be discussion about what is
> imporant:
>
> - product database table vs component configuration (eg. price
>   component)
> - what user details are required (eg postal AND shipping
>   addresses)
> - freight/postage calculator
> - integration with payment gateways
>
> And I'm sure there's more to discuss, I haven't given it much
> thought yet.

That sounds like a good start!

For intergration with payment gateways this looks like it might be
of use:

  Business::OnlinePayment is a set of related Perl modules for
  processing online payments (credit cards, electronic checks, and
  other payment systems). It provides a consistant interface for
  processing online payments, regardless of the gateway backend being
  used, in the same way that DBI provides an consistant interface to
  different databases.

  http://420.am/business-onlinepayment/

I haven't found many other existing Perl modules...