[MKDoc-dev] Events Component: Milestone 2 Complete

Sam Tregar sam at tregar.com
Tue Oct 26 17:48:24 BST 2004

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004, Chris Croome wrote:

> I'm not having so much luck with the patch, but perhaps it's the
> database that I need to fix? I did update it for the last patch and I'm
> not sure if I need to change anything again...

It should be the same, although you probably don't have the indexes if
you used Bruno's script.

> >  - As requested, the dates in the time-range component now default to
> >    today.
>
> This doesn't seem to work for me, they default to 1st Jan 2004?

That's odd, it's working on my system.  Can you give me a step-by-step
walkthough to reproduce it?

> >  - The headlines component now optionally displays upcoming events.
>
> This doesn't work for me, Every time I set it to list events it reverts
> to listing headlines, and no headlines are listed either...

Very odd.  Can you show me the contents of your Document_TimeRange
table?  It sounds like no upcoming events are being found, if I
understand you correctly.

Another idea: would it be possible for me to get access to the system
where you found these bugs?  Sometimes a few minutes of hands-on
debugging can save a lot of time.

> >    Clearly something should be done about this.  Maybe the METAL macro
> >    facility could be used here?  I haven't played with it yet but it
> >    seems pretty slick.
>
> I agree the way we have been doing it so far isn't so great, I'll see
> what can be done...

Good.  I'll be interested to see what you come up with.  Let me know
if you need anything changed on the Perl side to make the template
easier.  One possibility: collapse default_headlines and
personalized_headlines into one headlines method that falls back to
default when personalized is empty on the Perl side, rather than in
the template.

-sam

PS: Did you restart your server after applying the patch?  It occurs
to me that not doing so might cause both the bugs you saw.