[MKDoc-dev] Events Component: Milestone 2 Complete

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 17:28:10 BST 2004

Hi

I'm not having so much luck with the patch, but perhaps it's the
database that I need to fix? I did update it for the last patch and I'm
not sure if I need to change anything again...

On Sun 24-Oct-2004 at 06:45:21 -0400, Sam Tregar wrote:

>  - As requested, the dates in the time-range component now default to
>    today.

This doesn't seem to work for me, they default to 1st Jan 2004?

>    I left hour and minute defaulting to 00:00 since I wasn't sure if
>    you wanted that set to now too.  I also left the minute selector
>    as-is since it seemed there wasn't consensus on what it should be
>    changed to, text-box or a select-box by 5 minutes increments.

Personally I think I prefer text input boxes, but Bruno is very keen on
select lists, I think we agree that mixing the two is potentially a bit
odd, I think doing it using select lists for now is fine.

>  - As requested, the month names are in the time-range editor
>    template, ready for i18n.

Great, I have added the month numbers as title attributes so it will be
easier to add dates in lanugages one doesn't understand ;-)

I also committed this to CVS.

>  - The headlines component now optionally displays upcoming events.

This doesn't work for me, Every time I set it to list events it reverts
to listing headlines, and no headlines are listed either...

>  - The date formating for the display of event dates is in the
>    headline template for easy i18n/customization:
>
>      <small petal:content="timerange/to_datetime/strftime '%B %e, %Y %H:%M %Z'">
>
>    If this is a good idea then the same thing should be done for
>    creation dates in the normal headline mode.

This is a great idea, it would be very nice to be able to change the
date formatting everywhere :-)

>  - templates/components/headline/en.html is quite verbose.  It
>    contained three mostly identical branches to show headlines for
>    anonymous users, users without personalization and users with
>    personalization.  To implement upcoming events I added a branch to
>    each of those, bringing the total to six.
>
>    Clearly something should be done about this.  Maybe the METAL macro
>    facility could be used here?  I haven't played with it yet but it
>    seems pretty slick.

I agree the way we have been doing it so far isn't so great, I'll see
what can be done...

All the best