[MKDoc-dev] Events Component: Milestone 1 Complete

Bruno Postle bruno at webarchitects.co.uk
Mon Oct 18 23:18:32 BST 2004

On Mon 18-Oct-2004 at 17:57 -0400, Sam Tregar wrote:

> > Though I am concerned that the timezone list might get too long
> > - The full list of possible timezones offered when doing a Linux
> > installation is enormous.
>
> That's a reasonable concern, but I don't know how to address it.

So long as it has a sensible default it probably won't be an issue.

> Is there anywhere in the world we can be sure our users won't want
> to have an event?

The list of available options could be configurable, but we'll worry
about that when it becomes a problem.

> > - I'd like the list of months to be defined in the template somehow
> >   so it can be localised along with the rest of the user interface.
> >   Chris, is this possible with Petal?
>
> I can think of a couple ways to do this, although none of them are
> particularly pretty.  It would be easier if Petal had expressions "if
> month == 'January'".  It doesn't, right?

Not in a nice way.

I was thinking that it might be possible to 'define' the months at
the start of the template or use metal:fill-slot.

> What problems did you have updating multiple tables?  Was it too slow?

The indexing was slow, the main problem was that there was a finite
time between the Document and Document_Index updates and various
ways for the process to end after the first table but before the
second.

> I think updates to this table should be reasonably fast.

Yes there shouldn't be any noticeable delay.

> Actually, it occurs to me that I have no idea how big your client
> sites are.  How many documents are in the largest MKDoc site?

About 8000 on a current site, we had one with 30000 for a while, but
this was nowhere near reaching any kind of limit - Except for the
sitemap which got very large - We have ideas for making the sitemap
more manageable and more interactive at the same time.

--
Bruno