[MKDoc-dev] Proposed event/calendar functionality

Bruno Postle bruno at webarchitects.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 08:47:03 BST 2004

On Wed 13-Oct-2004 at 14:54 -0400, Sam Tregar wrote:

> Let's see if I understand the work which is needed to realize this
> plan:
>
>   - create a new TimeRange component, which will manage the storage of
>     data ranges associated with documents
>
>   - create a new editor template for the TimeRange component which
>     allows users add date ranges to their documents

Yes

>   - modify the Newsletter code to allow the inclusion of upcoming
>     events

Yes.

>   - create a new UpcomingEvents component, which will provide a list
>     of documents with TimeRange components within a configurable range
>
>   - create a new editor template for the UpcomingEvents component
>     which allows users to add a list of upcoming events to their
>     documents

It will be either a new UpcomingEvents component _or_ this
modification to the Headlines component:

>   - modify the Headlines code to allow the user to toggle between
>     Recently Updated, which is the current behavior, and Upcoming
>     Events

The problem is that the editor interface for adding components isn't
ideal, it is basically a pull-down select list with lots of cryptic
words to choose from.

"add text", "add image" and "add link" are fairly clear, but "add
headlines", "add rss" and "add photo" are non-obvious - Users who
like to play and try things-out will discover what they do, but our
typical target user still has to be shown how to use them.

We have two options:

1. We add another UpcomingEvents component - The pull-down list gets
   a little bit scarier.

2. We attach the new functionality to the existing Headlines
   component - The Headlines component gets a little bit scarier and
   the functionality is harder to discover.

I would like a third option that makes the pull-down menu less
intimidating and allows a greater variety of components at the same
time - I just don't have any ideas as to how that will work.

--
Bruno