[multikulti-tech] Farsi for Mac OS 9.2.1

Dan McQuillan dmcquillan at lasa.org.uk
Wed Jan 21 17:30:04 GMT 2004

hi Behrous

>i have a problem concerning farsi-webpages and word-documents.
>I have installed the farsi-font Nimrooz, but the webpages and
>HTML-documents still show up in strange symbols and "???".

i'm not sure that the Nimrooz font uses the Unicode encoding, which is the encoding used for the the Farsi text on the Multikulti site. If it doesn't use unicode, then you will just see strange junk and "???".

there is a list of unicode farsi fonts for mac os 9 here:
http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/fonts_mac.html#persian

at the top of the same page there is a lot of information about how to view unicode on the mac.
it looks to me like you will also need to install Apple’s Language Kits.

you should also be able to use the Nesf font from our help pages (even though it is a Windows font):
see http://www.multikulti.org.uk/help/fa/

i hope that helps

best wishes
dan mcquillan
[Dr. Dan McQuillan / Multikulti project / 020 7377 1226 / www.multikulti.org.uk ]

p.s. although it's about arabic rather than farsi, you may find some of the information on this web page helpful as well:
http://www.hf-fak.uib.no/institutter/smi/ksv/ArabicMac.html