[multikulti-tech] Re: freebanglafont-zip-0-5mb

Dan McQuillan dmcquillan at lasa.org.uk
Tue Jan 20 11:12:43 GMT 2004

hi Monju

>-----Original Message-----
>From: monju_begum at hotmail.com [mailto:monju_begum at hotmail.com]
>Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 06:20

sorry about the delay in replying to you.
we've been very busy.

firstly, i would like to say that, unfortunately, most of the bengali information on the site is not in text format.
this is because of the difficulties we are having with bengali software.
so we are putting the information on the site as Adobe PDF files.
to read the PDF files you don't need a Bengali font, but you do need the free Acrobat reader software.

your computer may already have Acrobat Reader installed.
if not, you can download it from http://www.lasa.org.uk/acrobat.html

>I have downled freebanglafont-zip-0-5mb and tried
>installing the fonts through the File, Install New Font option
>in the font folder but it didn't work. I then tried copy and
>pasting the fonts  but that didn't work either.

just a basic question: did you unzip the file first?
the freebanglafont-zip-0-5mb is a compressed file (to make it quicker to download) - so it has to be uncompressed before it can be used.
you can use a program like UltimateZip http://www.ultimatezip.com/ to unzip the file.

however, i am also including an uncompressed Bengali font as an attachment to this email, which you can install straightaway.

>I am trying to
>install to Windows ME operating system.

again. i am sorry to say that i don't think this will work.
the Windows ME operating system does not seem to have built in the support for Bengali fonts.
This is because the Bengali fonts are more complicated, because of the way the characters combine with each other.
I think Microsoft did not included support for this until the Windows XP operating system.

This is another reason why we are still delivering the Bengali content as PDF files.

I hope this information is helpful.
If you have any other queries, please do not hesitate to get back to me.

Best wishes

Dan McQuillan
[Dr. Dan McQuillan / Multikulti project / 020 7377 1226 / www.multikulti.org.uk ]