[webarch-wp] Preventing abuse of the WordPress XML-RPC interface

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Tue Nov 3 11:35:40 GMT 2015

Hi

We have been seeing quite a few denial of service attacks on the
WordPress /xmlrpc.php file across many sites and would strongly urge
everybody to install this plugin to deny access apart to this file from
anywhere apart from the JetPack/Automattic's servers:

- Stop XML-RPC Attack
  https://wordpress.org/plugins/stop-xmlrpc-attack/

If you don't need to allow any XML-RPC access then you can simply add
this to your ~/.htaccess file and not use the plugin:

  <Files xmlrpc.php>
    Deny from all
  </Files>

We should have new WordPress secure shared hosting packages to announce
soon, these will come with a automated WordPress install which will
include:

- HTTPS certificates from Let's Encrypt
  https://letsencrypt.org/

- A Piwik account and the install and configuration of WP-Piwik to
  enable access to web stats from within WordPress
  https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-piwik/

- Automatic installs of wp-fail2ban, stop-xmlrpc-attack and
  disable-google-fonts for privacy and security
  https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-fail2ban/
  https://wordpress.org/plugins/stop-xmlrpc-attack/
  https://wordpress.org/plugins/disable-google-fonts/

When this service is launched we will also be able to assist existing
sites to be migrated to the servers running the new shared hosting
packages.

All the best

Webarchitects Co-operative
http://webarchitects.coop/