[Petal] Documentation Suggestion

Jonathan Vanasco jon at 2xlp.com
Fri Feb 3 20:59:49 GMT 2006

RE:
	Petal/Cookbook
	Generating even/odd rows (submitted by Warren Smith)

First- The decode modifier is GREAT.

Unfortunately though, I can't use it as I use Petal to share
templates between different languages.
For those that need to do the same , there is a way to assign
attributes based on repeat characteristics in pure TAL

===

	<tag tal:omit-tag="string:1" tal:condition="repeat/even"><tag
tal:define="rowClass string:rowEven" tal:omit-tag="string:1"/></tag>
	<tag tal:omit-tag="string:1" tal:condition="repeat/odd"><tag
tal:define="rowClass string:rowOdd" tal:omit-tag="string:1"/></tag>
		tal:attributes="class rowClass"

	This will use either the rowEven or rowOdd class. All of the 'tag'
elements are omitted on render. This uses a nested define tag in a
condition tag, because define precedes condition in order of operations.

===

The above is ugly and inefficient. , but if decode: is not an option,
it saves time spend making&updating duplicate conditional rows (one
for even, one for odd) , which can be a hassle to maintain when
designing things.