[Petal] repeat through hash

Jonathan Vanasco petal-list at 2xlp.com
Fri Apr 21 01:29:57 BST 2006

On Apr 20, 2006, at 7:24 PM, Corey wrote:
> Anyone in favor? Any pitholes or details I'm missing?

Well there's this:
	in Perl, Python and PHP (the TAL implementations I use ),  hashes
( perl hashes, python dicts , php named arrays ) are unordered.
randomly showing items from a list, IMHO, is worthless and confusing.

to do what you want, it would just be going randomly through the hash
- you'd have to map  some sort of sorting algorithm onto the function
( sort on the key?  a value of hash element? what is the sort
mechanism? )

i believe that in python you can map the repeat onto a generator or
iterator - i *think* you can figure out a way mimic that it in perl
using petal's method support

ie, your repeat loop calls a function that returns the next item in
whatever sequence, and petal stops doing that at the end

its pretty easy to do in python tal, but i'm not sure about the petal
version.

i tried to stab away at the petal source and try to get nested
variable to work.  i don't think its quite possible.

maybe some college student out there would want to do it through
google summer of code?  that would be awesome.