[Petal] Metal includes

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Thu May 5 21:46:37 BST 2005

Hi all,

I think that I've come across something which should be handled better
by Petal or at least documented. If an include file is not valid XML, it
will be silently ignored. I was struggling the other day trying to
figure out why my includes stopped working while upgrading some old
templates to the latest version of Petal (ok, some really old
templates). Once, I fixed the XML problems, the includes started
working. There was no error or warning message in the logs.

At one point, I seem to recall seeing an inline error message in the
html source page at one point but have not confirmed that this is how
Petal handles import error. If someone can confirm that, I will update
the docs.

Also, does anyone know if there is a way to have an included macro only
insert the contents rather than the surrounding tags? I'm ending up with
div tags in my header due to the need to create valid XML include files.
The resulting file is not valid XHTML.

Finally, there are a couple typos in the macros section of the POD. It
looks like the use-macro and define-macro definitions got mixed up so
that they wrong macro is being referenced. I can make that fix when I
update the above.

Thanks,
William

--