[Petal] Petal problem

Bruno Postle bruno at mkdoc.com
Mon Mar 14 16:41:47 GMT 2005

William McKee wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 05:39:10PM +0000, Bruno Postle wrote:
>
>>It is valid XML, but anything with '$' in it is going to be
>>problematic because Petal uses it for variable substitution.
>
> But according to the POD, it's a deprecated syntax[1] so why even
> support it?

Because removing it would break existing templates.

It is deprecated because it is ugly and breaks the WYSIWYG test of
hiding scary programming stuff from web-designers, but it is still
useful functionality.

A quick check shows there are 63 instances in MKDoc-1.6 and 34 in
MKDoc-1.8 templates - Though I suppose we ought to try and get rid
of them.

--
Bruno