[Petal] Creating template from string

Bruno Postle bruno at mkdoc.com
Thu Jul 21 11:12:57 BST 2005

On Thu 21-Jul-2005 at 09:42 +0100, Mark Holland wrote:

> I agree this would be a good feature to have. We are hoping to, in
> the near future, create an I18N preprocessor, which will
> pre-process and populate any i18n:translate tags which do not
> contain i18n:name tags.

Are you using I18NFool?  This is the framework we built for
internationalising Petal templates:

  http://search.cpan.org/dist/I18NFool/

(yeah stupid name, I know)

The Petal::I18N documentation is a little out-of date in this
respect:

  http://search.cpan.org/dist/Petal/lib/Petal/I18N.pm

> The idea is to cache per-language versions of each template (maybe
> using Cache::FileCache) which can be read into Petal for normal
> compilation and processing. So being able to construct a template
> from a string could be useful.

Petal already caches templates seperately for each language.  This
was buggy until recently, but it should be ok now.

> One thought though - how will Petal cache the complied version of
> a template created from a string? Perhaps some sort of 'cache key'
> could be passed to the constructor?

This is tricky, it needs to be persistent between processes.

--
Bruno