[Petal] <![CDATA[ ... ]]> and HTML Elements

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Mon Nov 8 21:13:08 GMT 2004

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 09:00:12PM +0000, Fergal Daly wrote:
> That's definitely a problem but I don't see the connection with CDATA. I
> just tried

If you comment out the CDATA sections, they will work (HTML Tidy even
does this for you when it adds CDATA sections to inline Javascript).

> <script type="text/Javascript" language="Javascript">
  //<![CDATA[
>   var d;
>   d = '1' & '1';
>   alert(d);
  //]]>
> </script>

> I generally do
>
>  <snip>
>
> Petal seems to leave that alone and it's the standard way of doing things
> even when Petal isn't involved

Ahhh, that's what Jean-Michel did to add better support for JavaScript.
I remember him telling the list that he had made a release with better
support. However, I'd since stopped using the // <!-- // --> comments
since they are mostly unnecessary.

Since that workaround is in place, it doesn't seem like it'd be hard to
add a similar workaround for CDATA which is gaining more usage, esp
since HTML Tidy wraps style tags and JavaScript sections in them. What
do you think?

> There's also nothing to stop you closing the comment tag in the middle,
> putting in some Petal and then starting again. It's not the prettiest in the
> world but it works. Hope that helps,

Good point. Very useful discussion.

William

--