[Petal] More on entities and Â

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Mon May 3 19:29:23 BST 2004

Hi all,

Well, the saga continues for me and the capital A circumflex. Most
recently, I am receiving the \302 character on a production server but
not on my test server. Both servers are running Debian Linux with Apache
1.3.29 and mod_perl 1.29.

In this case, I'm not using Petal::HTB which I thought was the culprit
in my previous posts. This time, with the help of Firefox, I was able to
determine that Petal is outputting a nbsp character (\240) but is
prepending it with a \302 character (the capital A circumflex, A0 in
hex). On my test server, the \302 character is not being output.

Chris had indicated this appending behavior with his posts regarding the
copyright character and the capital A circumflex. At the time, I did not
realize that the same behavior was occurring with the nbsp entity. So it
appears to be affecting more than just the nbsp entity.

None of the previous recommendations such as changing the file encoding
or setting the meta tags are helping. For now, I'm going to do a global
search and replace on the output of the process command to remove this
character. However, this is not a good long-term solution due to the
hackish nature and the performance hit. Any suggestions or advice for
tracking down this bug would be most appreciated.

Regards,
William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.