[Petal] Processing HTML

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Mon Mar 1 04:42:33 GMT 2004

Hi Jean-Michel,

I'm working on writing some reviews about Petal for CPAN and a wiki that
I frequent[1]. In so doing, I was reading your Summary from the pod and
have a question about the following line:

  "Petal is a XML based templating engine that is able to process any
  kind of XML, XHTML and HTML."

Now, to my understanding, I'm under the impression that Petal cannot do
HTML without the help of HTML::TreeBuilder. This requires the use of
Petal::Parser::HTB, right? Should that line be rephrased or a footnote
added to explain how HTML is handled?

I cringe to bring up this issue since I know you're hesitant to continue
supporting Petal::Parser::HTB. Is anyone else on the list using a
version of Petal <2.00 or using the HTB parser with Petal 2+? I'm
slowing bringing some of my original websites up to well-formed XHTML
but haven't even switched my production server to 2.02 yet so am not
ready for losing access to HTB.

Thanks,
William

[1] http://cgi-app.org