[Petal]   to  mystery

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Mon Jan 19 13:35:51 GMT 2004

Hi

I can only help with one bit of this...

On Mon 19-Jan-2004 at 08:22:23AM -0500, William McKee wrote:

> Also, I tried Mark's suggestion of adding the following meta-tag
> to my templates:

> Unfortunately, this did not change things when I view my templates
> through a browser. Very strange!

Mozilla always uses the charset in the HTTP headers (as it should
according to the HTTP RFC) however IE _never_ takes _any_ notice of
the charset in the HTTP headers so you have to specify the charset
in pages as above in _addition_ to the HTTP headers.

The easy way to test the headers is using lynx:

  $ lynx -head -dump http://mkdoc.com/

A better way is using apache bench since it can be used for also
testing content encoding:

  $ ab -n 1 -v 4 -H 'Accept-Encoding: gzip' http://mkdoc.com/