[Petal]   to  mystery

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at mkdoc.com
Sun Jan 18 17:25:26 GMT 2004

William McKee wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 12:15:38AM +0000, Mark Holland wrote:
>

>>I think I might have figured out the   coming out as  mystery.
>>Seems the problem is my browser was expecting a document encoded in
>>iso-8859-1 (latin1) but was getting utf-8.
>>

>OK, I figured my problems had something to do with encodings, but I'm
>still learning about these so had no idea where to start. Thanks for
>tracking it down Mark.
>
>Here is what locale is telling me:
>
>william at zeus:~/perl$ locale -a
>en_US
>en_US.iso88591
>POSIX
>
>The comments in the Petal::Entities module seem to indicate that Petal
>is converting the nbsp entity to a Latin 1 character. Do you think this
>character is not being translated by the en_US.iso88591 encoding? Are
>my locale settings somehow mucking up Petal's output?

Hi William,

Petal now always encode the resulting output as UTF-8, unless you are
using perl 5.6.1 in which case it doesn't care about Unicode stuff.

That's the only way I could sort of get it to work properly with
includes and with perls < 5.7.

>Finaly, could someone point me to a good tutorial/introduction to locale
>settings in unix? I've found some examples of changing them but would
>like a more in-depth discussion.

Petal will not look at your locale settings but Perl almost always
does... unfortunately locales aren't one of my specialities so I can't
tell you much more :(