[Petal] Question about Petal::Mail, aka stupid P::M tricks

Bruno Postle bruno at mkdoc.com
Fri Jan 16 17:13:36 GMT 2004

On Fri 16-Jan-2004 at 04:45:47PM +0000, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:

> > However, I tried inserting a long message and it wrapped whether
> > it was inside the <p> tag or not (and it's not my mailer that's
> > doing the wrapping!).

> Try to run the test on the terminal rather than sending yourself the email as
> your email client might be doing some trickery (as it should!) with flowed text
> format.

This is what William is seeing, mutt understands format=flowed text,
so Jean-Michel's example looks like this when viewed in mutt as
> From: Mark Conway <mark at bruce.csse.monash.edu.au>
> To: Yourself <your at self.net>
> Subject: Please help me with important transaction

> very very very very very very very very very very very very very
> very very very very very very very very long line

<pre> example:

> very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very
> very very very very very very long line

The difference is that anything in a <p> tag gets re-wrapped by
Petal::Mail with inserted soft carriage returns, so it looks good in
any mail-client (which are also permitted to re-flow it again).

Whereas anything in a <pre> tag has all carriage-returns preserved;
mail-clients can wrap excessively long lines, but they won't join
two distinct lines together.

Basically, it does the right thing - Put ascii-art and .sigs in
<pre> tags, put everything else in <p> tags and you should be ok.

--
Bruno