[Petal] Re: CPAN daily update

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Tue Jan 13 14:40:58 GMT 2004

On Tue, Jan 13, 2004 at 10:03:27AM +0000, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> Ooops! Sorry I've been lazy :)

Probably more busy than lazy if you are still working on the MKDoc
migration!

> Great to hear your problem has been fixed.

Well, I spoke too soon. I ran the webpages that were showing the
incorrect character and did not see it so assumed things were fixed.
However, running the test case that I created and posted to the list
still results in an error when run with Petal::Parser::HTB and does not
produce any visible output when run without it. Shouldn't the nbsp
entity be getting changed to something?

Would you take a patch to the testsuite that checks for these problems?
I'm wondering if it's a setup issue on my systems or something in Petal.
Last time I'll ask (for today<g>), have you run the test I posted a
couple weeks ago? Do you see the invalid character being printed?

Thanks,
William

> At the moment the way it's set is that if either your $Petal::INPUT or
> $Petal::OUTPUT (or the associated options in the constructor) are set to
> 'HTML', then Petal will decode the HTML entities.

Using MKDoc::XML::Decode::XHTML?

> And actually &nbsp; should be converted to a character with the code
> decimal 160 (Or A0) which corresponds to a non breaking space white. So
> the &nbsp; disappears but is replaced by a "real" non breaking space
> character.

Should that be visible in a terminal? Running my tests in the terminal
window do not reveal a character being inserted in place of the &nbsp;.

> I encourage you to take a look at MKDoc::XML::Decode::XHTML source to
> see which HTML entities are supported: there's quite a few in there :)

Yeah, that's nice. I thought there was mention of support for these
entities. I wonder why it's not working for me?

Thanks,
William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.