[Petal] Modifiers and variables

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at mkdoc.com
Wed Aug 18 13:57:24 BST 2004

William McKee wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 09:42:48AM +0100, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
>

>>How do you mean? When you write a modifier, you have access to the raw
>>string that comes after the modifier. What you do with that string is up
>>to you.
>>

>Exactly, which is where the problem lies. If each modifier author is
>writing custom code to break up the string, there is no consistency in
>Petal's modifiers.

I see. Well, I wouldn't adding a base class (i.e. Petal::Plugin) which
would be the recommended method to implement new modifiers, and then
cabling existing modifiers onto Petal::Plugin.

I don't really see the advantage of /enforcing/ this syntax though. What
happens when you DO want your own syntax? At the moment the string:
modifier is quite important to me as I use it in conjunction with a
translation service (if there is one).

In other words, I am confused and I'm not sure :-)

>I'm not sure that I follow what you mean by an abstract modifier. Would
>my custom modifier inherit from that? If so, this is essentially what
>Petal::Utils is doing now.

Looks like it's time to go steal some code from there...

>I was hoping to have a standard method for
>extracting the arguments from the string but migrating the Plugin
>modifier architecture from Petal::Utils into Petal would be great (I
>know Steve would be all for this).

But surely the abstract class then becomes the standard method. Except
that if you don't want to use the standard method, well, you don't have
to. Does it make sense?

>That's what I was wondering. Since we're out on a limb, I guess we can
>make up anything we want. I'm going to add the proposed functionality to
>Petal::Utils::fetch_arg. Perhaps it can eventually be merged into Petal.

Well, " string: " is also implemented by ZPT. They also implement
python: but I think it's a mistake so I made a conscious decision NOT to
implement 'perl:', although it would be trivial.