[Petal] entity euro hurts

Michele Beltrame mb at italpro.net
Mon Apr 26 13:51:07 BST 2004

Hi!

> It should be replaced by a "Non Breakable SPace" character. This is what
>   means.
> A   furiously looks like a space...

Oh, I didn't know that. ;-)

> In MKDoc/XML/Decode/XHTML.pm, euro points to the decimal value 8364.
> Since this is a unicode high value, Perl has to upgrade all your strings
> to unicode. Hence, whenever you use € symbol the resulting string
> will be UTF-8 rather than latin1.

OK. I guess that in ISO-8859-1 I'll lose the Euro symbol anyway, and
I'll probably have to use ISO-8859-15. Anyhow, I now forced everything to
UTF-8 and all seems to work nicely. I just hope all browser can show UTF-8
entities without problems.

> I don't know which character you used for prova3.xhtml, but it appears
> very broken. I open the file in mozilla and wether I use latin-1 or

That was the euro sign (€) I typed in with AltGr+E on my keyboard.
I can see it in the console, but not in Mozilla, so it must really
be a very broken (or not very portable ;-)) char.

	Thanks and talk to you soon, Michele.

--
Michele Beltrame
http://www.italpro.net/mb/