Petal::Utils (was Re: [Petal] Looping through a hash)

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Mon Sep 8 15:02:05 BST 2003

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:55:30AM +0100, Steve Purkis wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback -- I'll whack it up on CPAN in a few moments
> then.  Hopefully it won't require too much work though; I'm getting
> swamped with maintenance woes as it is ;-).  Maybe when you get your
> CPAN account you can take over this module?

I'd be glad to take over. I'll work on getting that setup later this
month (I'll be out of town for a week starting on Thursday).

> Dynamically building %PLUGIN_SET is, well, difficult.  You're basically
> asking for a plugin manager for Petal, which is not what Petal::Utils
> was meant to be.

Yes, I see what you mean.

> Still, I'd argue that you could just inherit from Petal::Utils and
> have your own %PLUGIN_SET:

That seems like a good middle-ground solution!

> Personally, I think the plugin manager is a neat idea, but I don't see
> enough reason to write it at the moment.  I'm tempted to keep things as
> is for now.

Definitely agreed. Thanks for taking the time to run through all the
possibilities of extending Petal::Utils. You've given me some good food
for thought. I think that inheriting from P::Utils is the best solution
for now if, for whatever reason, the modifier is not included in
P::Utils.

> Quite right, but I think it's a problem with the tests more than
> anything else.  I get GMT +1, which is the standard behaviour of
> Date::Format.  We could stick in an optional $TIMEZONE class var if
> this is a problem in the templates, but for now I'll just make that
> test more generic.

After sending that first email, another possible reason came to mind to
explain why I had the test fail. On the system that I was doing the test
on, I dual-boot into both Windows and Unix. However, I did an install
onto my Linux-only server this morning and got the same test error. I
think making the test generic is a good start. Makes sense to see what
happens in the wild before fixing the subroutine itself.

Thanks,
William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.