Petal::Utils (was Re: [Petal] Looping through a hash)

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Fri Sep 5 16:40:31 BST 2003

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 07:27:44PM +0100, Steve Purkis wrote:
> I can do, but if you'd like to take it on you're more than welcome.

Wow! Nice work. You definitely have more background with Perl and
modules than I do, so I'm going to let you adopt this one. Maybe I'll
get registered as a developer and upload a few new modifiers in the
future.

I should be able to create CPAN projects within the Petal::Util::* path,
right? I think it's important to allow anyone to be able to glob on to
the existing pattern without needing someone's approval to include the
package with the Petal::Util modules. However, looking at Util.pm, it
seems to me that it would mean that we need to dynamically build the
%PLUGIN_SET hash. Or will the user simply have to explicity request the
module (e.g., use Petal::Utils qw(NewMod))?

> Thanks for getting the ball rolling...  I've spent some time today
> adding my 2?.  It's a bit more than 4K now, so I've put it up here:

It was worth the effort looking at what has come out of it!

I notice that you are using a function from Date::Format called time2str
in Date.pm now. I am getting a test failure as follows:

> t/02__default....NOK 4#     Failed test (t/02__default.t at line 84)
> #     doesn't match '(?-xism:date = Jan\s+1 1970 01:00:01)'

The pertinent output line is:
> date = Dec 31 1969 19:00:01

It looks like the time has been offset by my localtime (GMT -4). We need
to tell Date::Format to assume that localtime is being passed in to the
time2str function.

Thanks,
William

--