[Petal] [BUG] splitpath error

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Mon Oct 20 15:49:51 BST 2003

Hi all,

OK, I believe that I've finally gotten to the bottom of all the issues
I've been experiencing with running Petal through Safe.

The following line

<!-- #PATH:C:\Documents and Settings\Office\My Documents\testcc\image\ -->

is generating the following errors:

[Mon Oct 20 09:50:29 2003] : Unrecognized escape \D passed through at
(eval 176) line 13.
[Mon Oct 20 09:50:29 2003] : Unrecognized escape \O passed through at
(eval 176) line 13.
[Mon Oct 20 09:50:29 2003] : Unrecognized escape \M passed through at
(eval 176) line 13.
[Mon Oct 20 09:50:29 2003] : Unrecognized escape \i passed through at
(eval 176) line 13.

Apparently on my server, these errors were being handled by CGI::Carp
which was then having a problem working inside of a Safe reval. I sent a
bug report to Lincoln on Saturday afternoon and had a workaround the
next morning (you couldn't buy technical support that quick! Open Source
and Perl rock!).  He didn't know why CGI::Carp was having problems
running inside of Safe but his fix works and isn't even necessary if the
following errors are rectified.

I suggest that anyone having problems with running templates with TAINT
(and thus inside of Safe), check to be sure that their templates do not
include DOS-style paths or other elements that contain '\'.

Now, the reason I submitted this as a bug report is that I think that
MKDoc::XML should be doing something to escape these characters before
the eval (the error message seems to indicate that they are getting
eval'ed inside of a regex or other construct that checks for escape
chars).

Thanks,
William

--