[Petal] New releases

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Wed Oct 1 13:42:08 BST 2003

On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 04:39:24PM +0100, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> > Thanks for the updates. The biggest problem I'm having with migrating
> > to the latest version of Petal is that, as much as I hate to admit it
> > to this group of hardcore standardists <g>, most of my templates are
> > not well-formed.
>
> Heh, nobody's perfect :)

Thanks for the moral support <g>!

> Mhhh. Maybe I should write a Petal::Tidy module that would subclass
> Petal, and use HTML::Tidy to make sure templates are compliant before
> sending them to Petal.
>
> But maybe that's a bit over the top...

Although it'd be nice, it prob. is a bit much. We'll prob. have some
resistance from those users who don't write valid XHTML. Not to mention
that this change also adds an extra step for designers who edit the
templates--they'll be more likely to break systems by not using valid
markup.

For these reasons, I'll prob. continue using the Petal::Parser::HTB
library. It'd be nice if you could make MKDoc::XML a bit more lenient
towards XHTML markup but then I don't reckon it'd be an XML parser.

> So from this point of view I think it is an improvement. I've tried to
> make it as simple for you (with Petal::Parser::HTB) as I could. Sorry if
> it's a hassle.

I think it's a great improvement and wasn't complaining about the
upgrade hassle. I just wanted to point out that if you currently are not
using valid XHTML/XML templates then you've got some work to do to get
Petal working again. That, and the fact that you're going to 100% pure
Perl, suggests to me the need for a major version update. But, hey, it's
your code and your party that I'm joining so you can run it however you
want.

> FYI next thing on my TODO list for Petal (well, once I get to release a
> stable 1.10) will be a minimalistic implementation of METAL which I'll
> be able to build upon to reach a full working implementation.

When you do that be sure to include some good examples in the docs.
Despite reading the mailing list and reviewing the specs at Zope, I have
yet to get my head around what METAL is all about.

> > BTW, I haven't tested the new versions yet but will do shortly

FYI, I have installed Petal 1.10_5 and Petal::Parser::HTB 1.02 without
errors. They appear to be working fine although I have not yet tested
with a valid XHTML document yet. I'm hoping that MKDoc::XML will handle
embedded Javascript better than HTB. I'll let you know if I run into
any errors.

Cheers,
William

--