[Petal] Multiple conditions?

jhiver at mkdoc.com jhiver at mkdoc.com
Tue Mar 11 00:19:37 GMT 2003

> Hmm I would find the double-dashes confusing here.  To me it means
> "command-line switch", which implies that the true value is supposed to
> *follow* it

err...

lynx --source --dump http://example.com/
wget --help
gzip cvf --best ...

etc.

> However for any examples I'd be happy to use the -- approach.

Oh, I was just stating my personal preference! If both options are
possible, it's probably good to have both in examples anyway.

(with comments where appropriate for the alternates I guess...)

> Clearly we both feel strongly about aesthetics, but have slightly
> different preferences!  Well, that's good for the tool.

I'm more worried about making my templates as much TAL
compliant as possible, because TAL has been quite extensively
tested with WYSIWYG whilst the inline dollar syntax hasn't.

I guess it depends which degree of compatibility you want to achieve
with the tools you're using, and also what syntax is better suited for
the tools you're using.

For example, if you were writing XHTML, id="$id" would be terrible
because '$' is not allowed in XHTML identifier, hence validators would
raise an error.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel.