[Petal] [ANNOUNCE] Petal::CodePerl 0.02

Fergal Daly fergal at esatclear.ie
Mon Jun 30 14:44:31 BST 2003

Hi all,
	CPAN will shortly be carrying Petal::CodePerl 0.02. This module can speed up
your Petal templates considerably. It parses and compiles expressions when
the template is first compiled, instead of at run time. I got a 3-fold
speedup on a template I use for a dictionary program.

Using this module is just a matter of changing

use Petal;

to use

use Petal::CodePerl;

in your code.

There should be no noticable differences except that things will go faster.

New in this version:

- The Parse::RecDescent grammar is precompiled so the startup delay is
reduced.
- with Petal 0.95 there's no need to load the grammar at all if the template
is in your cache, which means there's no longer a speed penalty for people
running stand-alone scripts.