[Petal] Minor namespace support bug

Kurt Stephens kstep at pepsdesign.com
Wed Jan 29 18:22:41 GMT 2003

Hi All,

I was experimenting with using Petal to generate other Petal templates,
which requires aliasing the petal namespace.  I tried using 'petal-temp' as
the namespace prefix, and found that while the templates parse and the
petal-temp:command elements are stripped from the output, the commands are
not processed.  Changing the namespace to prefix petal_temp works correctly.
It appears that the dash '-' character causes the problem, although
according to the W3C spec this is a valid NCNameChar, so 'petal-temp' should
be a valid namespace prefix.  I have attached test cases demonstrating this
problem using the 'content' and 'attributes' commands.

Rather than spending a lot of time tracking this down, I think that it
should suffice to say that if you are going to use an alternate namespace
prefix, don't use the '-' character in the name.

By the way, I will follow up on the Petal-to-Petal trick in a subsequent
post, perhaps with a sample app to generate suites of Petal templates from a
MySQL database schema.

Best Regards,

Kurt Stephens
kstep at pepsdesign.com