[Petal] Petal 0.82 Released

Mark Holland mark at thinkfoo.com
Tue Jan 28 19:16:28 GMT 2003

>Optional mini-poll: I'd be curious to know what you're using Petal
>for... Same question to other people on the list, just out of curiosity!

Initially I used petal to replace all my old mason templates. Although I
don't edit pages in a gui, it's far nicer writing tal templates than <%
asp-like %> crap.

So far with Petal I have built:-

-At the bank I work for I have developed a support request tracking
system and an admin interface to their major trading system. This system
is apache/mod_perl/mason/petal with a sybase server running on a
sparc.With 14G of spare ram I cache everything in memory and it is
speedy as hell ;-)

-Secondly im working on a soon-to-be-released website
(www.peripatetic.co.nz). It's a photo album/journal of a guy's world
travels with an admin interface that uses ImageMagick to generate
thumbnails, process images etc. This one is running on my far humbler
linux machine, with the same apache/mod_perl/mason/petal setup on a
mysql database. All the same, given that the machine is running mail
services for a number of users and running quite a few other sites, it's
still pretty damn quick.

I have some other web based projects in the pipeline and rest assured I
shall be using Petal for these too.

Cheers,
Mark