[Petal] Petal 0.82 Released

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Tue Jan 28 12:26:16 GMT 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 04:52:30PM +0000, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> Sorry about it... please bare in mind that Petal is still a young
> library (just over six months now). I'm striving to maintain backwards
> compatibility and I only -partly- broke it once so far.

Really, I'm not complaining! It's a great library and plus it's
introducing me to XML. I'm just trying to get up-to-speed with my
understanding of XML. I appreciate everyone's assistance with getting up
the curve.

> Optional mini-poll: I'd be curious to know what you're using Petal
> for... Same question to other people on the list, just out of curiosity!

I am currently using Petal for two web applications that I have built
using CGI::Application. One has been deployed for almost six months--it
is a student administration tool for Queens University of Charlotte. I
have about 20 templates which all use includes to load the header and
footer pages. Using mod_perl, PostgreSQL, and cached Petal templates,
this system is zippy!

The other project is a roommate search system for a local rental company
in Boone, NC. It has not yet been deployed but the templates will be
edited by a designer using Dreamweaver which is why I was so hot on
using TAL vs. other template languages which get mauled by GUI HTML
editors.

I look forward to continuing to use Petal for my future web projects.
Indeed, I am interested in trying to apply the mods to Mason to get
Petal templates working inside that application server. Right now, my
time is not allowing me to do the R&D.

Cheers!
William

--