[Petal] Petal 0.82 Released

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Tue Jan 28 11:17:53 GMT 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 12:50:46PM +0000, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> There's been a massive debate about this on various lists... should the
> URI namespace return a DTD, an XML schema, a human readable description
> or just nothing?
>
> No clear answer. I went for the least effort option: nuthin' ;)

Gotcha. A very Perlesque approach <g>.

> Because XML PIs do not support namespaces (which discovered when I
> decided to implement namespace support), it doesn't make any sense for
> them to have a prefix.

Ahhh.... (the light comes on!). So what differentiates XIncludes from
PIs is that XIncludes define a standard way of doing includes which does
not rely on custom PIs?

I came across a decent intro to XIncludes by Elliotte Rusty Harold at
XML.com <http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/07/31/xinclude.html?page=1>.
Perhaps of minor interest to you is that in my search on Google for
XIncludes this discussion got ranked on the first page!

> Anyway now that we have some kind of XInclude support it's probably time
> to write "No XML PIs" templates... I thought it was the main motive for
> XIncludes anyway, apart from the fact that the word "XIncludes" sounds
> really cool :-)

I know, I know! Give a guy a chance to get caught up. You must remember
that the templates in question were developed when Petal was at version
0.1 or so.

Later,
William

--