[Petal] Apache warnings

William McKee william at knowmad.com
Tue Feb 25 06:08:23 GMT 2003

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 11:44:35AM +0000, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> Nice one. If you could post a description of what's going on and how to
> fix it I would be quite happy to write a little something about it on
> the all new petal.mkdoc.org website.

Maybe it would be a good candidate for a FAQ (although it really isn't a
frequently asked question based on the lack of response I got from the
list regarding the warning messages).

Q: Why do I get warning messages in my log files that look like the
following:

[Mon Feb  3 07:44:32 2003] XHTML.pm: Subroutine StartTag redefined at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Petal/Canonicalizer/XHTML.pm line
66.
[Mon Feb  3 07:44:32 2003] XHTML.pm: Subroutine EndTag redefined at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Petal/Canonicalizer/XHTML.pm line
193.
[Mon Feb  3 07:44:32 2003] String.pm: Subroutine process redefined at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Petal/Hash/String.pm line 35.
[Mon Feb  3 07:44:32 2003] Petal.pm: Subroutine main::canonical
redefined at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/Petal.pm line 197.

A: This problem appears to be due to an anomaly during start-up after a
server crash. If you see this continuing to appear in your logs, there
is a good chance that you have PerlFreshRestart turned On. It has been
some users' experience that with this configuration setting the server
will dump core when attempting a graceful restart, although it will
start and stop without incident. See the Troubleshooting FAQ for
mod_perl at <a
href="http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/troubleshooting.html#Evil_things_might_happen_when_using_PerlFreshRestart">perl.apache.org</a>.
Setting PerlFreshRestart to Off has corrected this behavior.

Does this help at all? Now that I rewrite the explanation, I'm thinking
the errors may be due to Petal not being politely shut down. Does that
make any sense? Feel free to edit the above.

William

--
Knowmad Services Inc.
http://www.knowmad.com