[Petal] XIncludes problem and question

Kurt Stephens kstep at pepsdesign.com
Fri Feb 14 09:38:55 GMT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jean-Michel Hiver" <jhiver at mkdoc.com>
To: "William McKee" <william at knowmad.com>
Cc: <petal at lists.webarch.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2003 6:49 AM
Subject: Re: [Petal] XIncludes problem and question

> > Hi everyone,
> Hi William,
>
> > Time for more XInclude fun. First, a simple question. If I use an
> > xi:include tag in the head of an html document do I need to move the
> > xmlns definition into the <head> tag? Currently I'm putting it in the
> > about XML, the more confused I get.
>
> Yes, you can move your namespace declaration in the <html> tag.
> What's confusing you so much?

Hi William,

The namespace declaration applies to the scope of the element where it
resides, including the element itself and all of it's children.  In other
words, a namespace declared in the <head> or <body> element applies only
within the scope of that element.  A namespace declared in the <html>
element, or the root element of any XML document applies to the scope of the
entire document.  Hope that clears thing up.

Oh, and I think that according to the W3C specs, I MUST say that the
statement above is a NON-NORMATIVE description!

HTH,

Kurt Stephens
kstep at pepsdesing.com