[Petal] [REQ] Escape HTML entities

Chris Croome chris at webarchitects.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 11:41:33 BST 2003

Hi

On Tue 19-Aug-2003 at 09:42:25AM +0100, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:

> >   HTML::Entities
> >   http://search.cpan.org/author/GAAS/HTML-Parser-3.30/lib/HTML/Entities.pm
>
> Mhhh... I suppose I could steal this module, and make it so that
> it decodes any entity EXCEPT < > & " and &apos
> which XML::Parser needs / knows about.

You don't need to steal it because it's free already :-)

> Also it'd be really nice if   was turned into its equivalent
> Unicode non breaking space character...

Also you need to take note that HTML and XHTML char entities are
_not_ the same!

- Case sensitivity, use lower case for XHTML
  http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.12

- The named character reference ' (the apostrophe, U+0027) was
  introduced in XML 1.0 but does not appear in HTML.
  http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#C_16