[Petal] [REQ] Escape HTML entities

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver at mkdoc.com
Mon Aug 18 16:42:20 BST 2003

On Mon 18-Aug-2003 at 01:47:27PM +0100, Chris Croome wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Mon 18-Aug-2003 at 01:01:29PM +0100, Steve Purkis wrote:
> >
> > So my question is this: is it feasible for Petal to escape XHTML
> > entities so that they pass through to the delivered document as-is?
>
> Ideally Petal would look at the namespace of a file and if the XHTML
> namespace is found then it would accept XHTML named entities [1].

Mhhh... that's a known bug, it's documented at the end of the Petal POD:

-------------------------------- %< ---------------------------------

KNOWN BUGS
  The XML::Parser wrapper only cannot expand entities
  "&lt;", "&gt;", "&amp;" and "&quot;". Besides, I can't get
  it to NOT expand entities in 'Stream' mode.

  HTML::TreeBuilder expands all entities,
  hence &nbsp;s are lost / converted to whitespaces.

  XML::Parser is deprecated and should be replaced by SAX
  handlers at some point.

So if you find a way to do any of these things it would make everybody's
life much better.

Any ideas?

Building a better web - http://www.mkdoc.com/