[Petal] Observations

William McKee william@knowmad.com
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:55:52 -0400

On 12 Sep 2002 at 14:35, Jean-Michel Hiver wrote:
> I'm not sure that Petal is the right tool to send text emails. You could
> try to write a Petal::Canonicalizer::Email I suppose. Or you could output
> very basic HTML and run it through a HTML => Text converter. Or you could
> use Text::Template :-)

All very good suggestions. HTML::Parser is working ok for now as long as I
don't include the <> chars. If I get ambitious, I'll consider writing a
new Canonicalizer.

> For the ability to parse string templates rather than files, I have
> looked into it and unfortunately using files is very structural. I don't
> think I'll be able to implement this 'properly' with the current
> architecture.
>
> I could probably create a temp file and process from there... but it's very
> bleurgh, thus I'm not sure that I want to do this. It's a shame that I
> didn't foresee that... sorry :-(

Perhaps an item to add for v2.0 or whenever enough structural changes need
to happen to require a rewrite.

> For the 'list of hashref' bug, I have made a test and it works fine.  I
> added it to the test suite, you can amend it / run it as follow:
>
> [jhiver@frogette Petal]$ perl t/022_Hashref_List.t
> 1..3
> ok 1
> ok 2
> ok 3
> [jhiver@frogette Petal]$
>
> I'm going to do a minor Petal release now (0.71), with the added list of
> hashrefs test and the updated docs.

Does this mean you fixed the bug that was causing my problem or that you
didn't find a bug and it's a problem on my end?

I'll run the tests when you send out the new release.

William

--
 Lead Developer
 Knowmad Services Inc. || Internet Applications & Database Integration