[Petal] [INFO] [Tim.Bunce@pobox.com: Re: Module submission Petal]

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver@mkdoc.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:58:10 +0100

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

Just for info...

--
IT'S TIME FOR A DIFFERENT KIND OF WEB
  Jean-Michel Hiver - Software Director
  jhiver@mkdoc.com
  +44 (0)114 255 8097
                                      VISIT HTTP://WWW.MKDOC.COM

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 15:15:35 +0100
From: Tim Bunce <Tim.Bunce@pobox.com>
To: modules@perl.org
Cc: jhiver@cpan.org
Subject: Re: Module submission Petal

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 04:42:06PM +0200, Perl Authors Upload Server wrote:

> The following module was proposed for inclusion in the Module List:
>
>   modid:       Petal
>   DSLIP:       bmpOa
>   userid:      JHIVER (Jean-Michel Hiver)
>   chapterid:   15 (World_Wide_Web_HTML_HTTP_CGI)
>   communities:
>     petal@lists.webarch.co.uk
>
>   similar:
>     Template HTML::Template Text::Template
>
>   rationale:
>
>     TAL is the Zope Page Template templating language. It has a formal
>     specification. Petal is a Perl implementation inspired from that
>     specification, it stands for "Perl Template Attribute Language"
>     (Perl TAL).
>
>     Petal makes it possible to write template files which are entirely
>     well-formed XML. I was going to go for XML::Template but since I
>     added the ability to process HTML files as well this is not relevant
>     anymore.
>
>     Petal cannot be under HTML (because it can process XML templates)
>     or XML (because it can process HTML templates as well). It cannot be
>     in Template::Petal either because Template is taken by the template
>     toolkit.
>
>     So I figured out a top-level name 'Petal' would be allright... Hope
>     that's OK with everyone.

Could use Text::Petal (or Text::PerlTAL)

You could also use Template::Petal (or Template::PerlTAL).

There are modules in the Template:: namespace that aren't related
to the template toolkit: Template::PSP, Template::Qtpl. I think
Template:: is too general to be dedicated to a single module/framework.

Tim.

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV--