[Petal] Expressions

Jean-Michel Hiver jhiver@mkdoc.com
Tue, 30 Jul 2002 11:40:23 +0100

Hi List,

Code news
=========

  I have found a bit of time to work on Petal's code yesterday and I
  have implemented the following behavior:

* 'modifier:' rather than ':modifier'

* ability to use slashes as well as dots

* stackable modifiers, i.e.

  $encode:uppercase:object/title
  or <span petal:replace="encode:uppercase:object/title>

* You can escape any character using \

* New syntax to pass arguments to methods

Instead of using
  foo.bar.baz 12 24 baz $variable

You can use
  foo.bar.baz '12' '24' 'baz' variable

Which in Perl would look like:
  $foo->bar->baz ('12', '24', 'baz', $variable);

And of course on top of that you can use modifiers in arguments if you
want... it's a bit of a smoked behavior, but you can write:

foo.bar.baz '12', '24', 'baz', encode:uppercase:variable

I think this feature is going to stay undocumented though.

I still need to write more tests and update the documentation. I'll do a
Petal 0.5 release this week-end, probably on sunday.

Questions for TAL experts:
==========================

  * is, in TAL, path: the default? i.e. are

  <expression> and
  path: <expression>

  always strictly equivalent?

  This is because implenting :path (and alternates conditions with |) is
  next on my Petal TODO list.

Best regards,
--
IT'S TIME FOR A DIFFERENT KIND OF WEB